Philippines Today

Switch to desktop
Philippines Today

Philippines Today

Duterte's trust rating drops but still very good

Published in Latest News

 

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte’s net trust rating experienced an eight-point drop in the second quarter of 2018, but still remained “very good” based on a new survey.

 

Malacanang said it welcomes the results of the said survey, expressing gratitude to the people for putting confidence on Duterte during a “challenging time.”

 

“The Palace views the latest survey results with humility; however, we have to take note that regardless of ratings, the President remains focused on his job of governing the nation,” said Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque in a statement. 

 

“Much remains to be done, especially in assisting the poor, vulnerable and severely hungry families.  We are now working double time to aid families affected by high prices while keeping the economy stable,” he added. 

 

The Social Weather Stations’ latest survey, released last week said Duterte received a +57 net trust rating in June 2018, falling by eight points from the +65 rating in March 2018.

 

“In the eight SWS surveys following his inauguration as President, from September 2016 to June 2018, Duterte’s net trust rating was excellent in five and very good in three,” the SWS said.

 

The survey was conducted from June 27 to 30, 2018, using face-to-face interviews of 1,200 adults aged 18 and older nationwide. The SWS asked 300 individuals each in Metro Manila, Balance Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.

 

The survey also found that 70 percent of adult Filipinos have “much trust” on Duterte, 13 percent have “little trust,” while 18 percent said they are “undecided.”

 

According to SWS, the President’s 8-point decline in overall net trust rating from March to June 2018 was due to declines in the Visayas and Metro Manila, combined with steady scores in Mindanao and Balance Luzon.

 

Net trust in Duterte fell by two grades from “excellent” to “good” in the Visayas, down by 21 points from +70 in March 2018 to +49 in June 2018. 

 

In Metro Manila, it fell by one grade from “very good” to “good,”  down by 20 points in March to +42 in June.

 

However, Duterte’s trust rating stayed “excellent” in Mindanao, hardly moving from +89 in March to +88 in June. It also stayed “”very good” in Balance Luzon, although down by three points from +53 in March to +50 in June.

Photo from Philippine Star

 

MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC) has denied Senator Antonio Trillanes IV’s plea for a preliminary injunction and the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) against Proclamation 572 voiding his amnesty.

 

With this development, the High Court leaves the decision to the Makati Regional Trial Court whether or not to issue an alias warrant of arrest and a hold departure order against Trillanes.

 

“Only a trial court and in certain cases, the Court of Appeals are trier of facts. Hence it is appropriate that the Makati RTC should be given leeway in exercising their concurrent jurisdiction,” stated Atty. Maria Victoria Gleoresty Guerra, the SC’s acting Chief PIO.

 

Trillanes’ camp sought to restrain the implementation of President Rodrigo Duterte’s revocation of his amnesty granted by former President Benigno Aquino III.

 

The senator insisted that the nullification was unconstitutional because it proceeded without the approval of Congress which, Trillanes’ claimed, was a clear violation of his right to due process.

 

However, the SC maintained that the issuance of an alias warrant of arrest should be acted upon by the lower court before proceeding to the arrest.

 

“The court takes judicial notice of the categorical pronouncement of President Duterte that Senator Trillanes will not be apprehended, detained or taken into custody unless a warrant of arrest has been issued by the trial court and thus there is no extreme and urgent necessity for the court to issue an injunctive relief considering that the respondents have acknowledged Senator Trillanes’ right to due process,” the decision further states.

 

The Department of Justice (DOJ) said it was pleased with the decision and the High Court’s recognition of the Makati Regional Trial Court’s jurisdiction as it has set the trial on the case on September 13 and 14.

 

“More significantly, the Supreme Court has recognized that the issue the of validity of Proclamation 752 involves factual questions that only the trial courts may properly resolve. In the process, the Supreme Court has also acknowledged the trial courts’ continuing jurisdiction over the coup d’ etat and rebellion cases, notwithstanding the alleged ‘finality’ of the orders of dismissal based on the grant of amnesty to Sen. Trillanes,” said Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra.

 

Trillanes’ camp welcomes the SC decision.

 

“We are gratified by the ruling of the Supreme Court. We are happy also that the Supreme Court required the respondents to comment on the petition,” explained Atty. Rey Robles, Trillanes’ legal counsel.

 

The respondents were given 10 days to comment on the petition. – Mai Bermudez / Marje Pelayo.

Photo from pna.gov.ph

 

QUEZON CITY – The House of Representatives Committee on Justice ruled on September 11 that the impeachment complaint filed against the seven magistrates of the Supreme Court (SC) is insufficient in substance.

 

The House committee members voted 23-1 to drop the complaint filed by Albay Representative Edcel Lagman against SC Associate Justices Lucas Bersamin, Diosdado Peralta, Francis Jardaleza, Noel Tijam, Andres Reyes, Alexander Gersmundo and now Chief Justice Teresita De Castro.

 

During the hearing, Lagman insisted that the magistrates committed an impeachable offense for not inhibiting from the proceedings of the quo warranto petition filed against former CJ Maria Lourdes Sereno despite them being vocal of their grudges against her, and also for bypassing Congressional power to impeach an impeachable official.

 

“The Supreme Court cannot be supreme in its errors, particularly in the malicious decision. There is always a way in getting account and that is through impeachment,” Lagman argued.

 

On the other hand, several lawmakers opposed Lagman’s argument citing that the magistrates acted only as mandated by their judicial duties.

 

“The justices of the Supreme Court were duty bound to decide on the petition. Their fidelity of to their judicial duty is not an impeachable offense simply because none disagreed with their decision,” said Angkla Party-list Rep. Jess Manalo.

 

Cavite representative Strike Revilla said there is no reason to punish the magistrates while Rep. Henry Oamenal of Misamis Occidental said, “If the complaint would succeed then there would be no quorum in the Supreme Court.”

 

But according to House rules, the House Committee’s decision can still be contested and reversed if the complaint obtains 1/3 of the votes in the Lower House. 

 

By JO ERLINDA MAUFIT

 

Photo from Instagram | @dongdantes

 

No less than actress Marian Rivera is saying that her actor-husband Dingdong Dantes is readying to run in the May 2019 elections.

 

The comely Marian who married Dingdong, 37, Jose Sixto Gonzales Dantes III in real life, at the Immaculate Concepcion Cathedral in Cubao, Quezon City where the actor grew up, however, claimed that Dingdong himself will do the announcement after he finalizes his political plans.

 

Dingdong is being floated as a candidate for senator by the Liberal Party (LP) owing to his having been appointed as commissioner at large of the National Youth Commission by then President Benigno S. Aquino III although he had resigned from the post.

 

Other groups identified with the administration are also reported to be wooing Dingdong to join their slates  considering his popularity and his being one of the possible candidates for senators in the winning column based on the March 2018 nationwide survey by Pulse Asia Research, Inc.

 

Other actors being considered are Ang Probinsyano actor and former senator Manuel Lito Lapid, ABS-CBN actor Robin Padilla, reelectionist Senator Bam Aquino, actor-politician and former Manila Vice Mayor Francisco Domagoso (Isko Moreno) and actress and Ormoc City Representative Lucy Torres-Gomez.

 

Dingdong, who now hosts a show on GMA Network and whose latest movie “Sid and Aya” performed well in the box office, however, is also being recruited to run for congressman in Quezon City where he and family reside.

 

Dingdong, who will also be featured in the highly-anticipated primetime show with Dennis Trillo, "Cain at Abel," is, therefore, to decide soon the big question: Will he run for a senatorial post or a post in the House of Representatives?

 

"Kung anong posisyon hindi ko alam but definitely yes tatakbo siya! Hayaan na natin, ibigay natin sa asawa ko na mismo siya maglatag sa inyo kung tatakbo ba siya, ano posisyon, rerespetuhin ko na siya na magsabi sa inyo," Marian disclosed in an interview.

 

Marian added that she and husband need to have a heart to heart talk first on Dingdong's specific political plans.

 

Whether it will be for senator or congressman, the Primetime Queen said she had promised to give her full support to her husband especially during campaign sorties and political rallies where they are expected to be crowd drawers.

 

Dingdong has been very vocal in his advocacies about environment and climate change issues, and the actor has been actively participating in the projects of Yes Pinoy Foundation as its founding chair. He also served as commissioner in the National Youth Commission from 2014 to 2016.

 

Marian, meanwhile, was teased if a second baby is on the way.

 

"It's coming very soon, very soon" said the actress in a GMA News report.

 

She said her daughter, Maria Letizia has been asking her and father Dingdong for a baby brother or a baby sister real soon. 

 

If local reports are considered, the popular actor will likely join the congressional race in Quezon City’s District 2 in the 2019 elections. District 2 consists of Barangay Commonwealth, Payatas, Batasan and several villages.

 

This as Dingdong recently surprised residents of Barangay Commonwealth and continues to hold dialogue and consultations with residents of the barangay and other areas.

 

Manuel Co, Barangay Commonwealth chairman, welcomed and introduced Dngdong during his visit to the barangay and even announced the actor’s congressional candidacy in front of his barangay councilors, purok leaders and presidents of different homeowners’ associations.

 

“Dantes just made a thumbs-up sign when Co announced his political bid,” sources said even as residents and the actors’ fans alike were surprised by the actor’s visit.

 

The actor told the crowd he came just “to raise the awareness of the people about the government agencies’ hotlines.”

 

It was gathered that if Dingdong chooses to run for congressman, he would be running against former child actress and broadcast journalist Precious Hipolito-Castelo, wife of three-term Rep. Winston Castelo, who is planning to run for vice mayor with Rep. Vincent “Bingbong” Crisologo as candidate for mayor, and Councilor Ranulfo Ludovica. 

 

Crisologo will be contesting the mayorship to be vacated by three-term mayor Herbert Bautista together with Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte. Other possible candidates for mayor are Kris Aquino and Willie Revillame, according to sources in the city. Outgoing Mayor Bautista is reportedly running for congressman in the third district.

 

Dingdong Dantes has studied in the University of the Philippines Open University as part of his preparation to enter politics. He has from October  to 5, the deadline for filing  of certificates of candidacy, to decide on whether he will run for senator or congressman and make the formal announcement.

 

Copyrighted for Philippines Today Tel: (650) 872-3200. Website developed by: SP3Media.com

Top Desktop version